The Carriage House is the former location of the parish office. The second floor and most of the ground floor is unsuitable for occupancy. The building was constructed in 1882 as the garage for the Gallegos family whose house and outbuildings occupied land along Mission Creek. The Carriage House is the last building remaining on site from the original Gallegos Estate. Because the Carriage House is one of the few remaining examples of 19th century board and batten siding remaining in the Mission San Jose Historic District, the city has designated it as a primary historic resource. For this reason, the building may be difficult to demolish. However, because the building interior has been extensively altered over the years, the Parish Facilities Team believes it may be possible to renovate the building’s interior to make it more useful while preserving the building’s external appearance.
Turning an Eyesore into an Asset
The Carriage House is in terrible shape and needs extensive repairs. The parish office staff was relocated to Ministry House 2 at the beginning of 2022 for this reason. Our parish community needs more meeting and gathering space. A renovated Carriage House could help us meet these needs.
This project will be considered as part of the next update to the Parish Master Plan, and prioritized against other parish facility maintenance needs.