| Begins Sunday afternoon, February 10
Are you dealing with the death or illness of a loved one, a divorce, the loss of a job or other life changing loss? Sharing your story with others may speed healing and lighten the burden. Your story is uniquely yours, but pain is universal. Our deanery sponsored bereavement support group’s next series begins Sunday afternoon, February 10, 2019. We are meeting in the Fireside Lounge at Holy Spirit Parish, from 2:30 – 3:30 PM for 8 Sundays. Information shared is strictly confidential. For more information, please contact Helen Campbell, 795-7958.
- 2/10/19 – Sharing the Story of Your Grief
- 2/17/19 – As You Deal with Your Loss
- 2/24/19 – Anger and Regrets
- 3/03/19 - Consolation
- 3/10/19 - Maturing Grief
- 3/17/18 - Sharing Memories
- 3/24/19 – Ritual & Healing
- 3/31/19 – Memorial Service
Volunteer tour guides needed
Have you thought about becoming a Mission San Jose Docent?
- Do you love history? Our docents are computer hardware engineers, civil engineers, technical writers, chemical engineers, physical therapists, administrators, wedding coordinators, domestic engineers, and yes, we have teachers too.
- Are you worried that you don't know enough? We'll train you and then you'll shadow other docents on multiple tours until you are comfortable to lead a tour on your own. Our Docent Guide is in digital form and can be printed or loaded on your computer or e-reader to read as much or as little as you need.
- Do you have a fear of fourth graders? Fourth graders are lively, but also inquisitive and regularly amaze us with their thoughtful questions. Their teachers and parents always accompany them. Most tours are during the school year at either 10 AM or 12:30 PM and last about two hours. Every tour is different. We guarantee that you'll never be bored!
Please contact either Mindy Isham (firstname.lastname@example.org, 510-683-9564) or Dolores Ferenz (email@example.com, 510-657-1797 x106).
Taize ~ Prayer around the Cross
|3rd Fridays of every month ~ Next service (Lent only): April 5 @ 8PM-9PM
This Christian candlelight prayer service is open to all who wish to pray in a quiet contemplative manner. Consisting of meditative chants, scripture readings, silent prayer and a bringing of our cares and joys to the cross, it is a peaceful way to gather in the presence of Christ.
of Mission San Jose Chapel ~ 43326 Mission Circle ~ Fremont, CA 94539-5829 For more information contact: S. Marcia Krause, OP 510-502-5797
Parish Reconciliation Service
Monday, April 8 Several Priests will be available for our Parish-wide Lenten Reconciliation Service on Monday, April 8th at 7:30pm in St. Joseph Church. Please join us.
Sacred Reading for Lent 2019
St. Joseph Adult Faith Formation Sacred Reading for 2019 is available for you to enter into the season of renewed prayer and penance. This powerful prayer book is the perfect resource if you are interested in a deeper prayer life or are seeking a new approach to praying and living the scriptures during Lent. Using an easily accessible, six-step process, Sacred Reading for Lent
2019 guides you through the daily gospel readings for Lent
as well as readings for solemnities and feasts from Ash Wednesday through Easter Sunday: know that God is present; read the gospel; notice what you think and feel; pray as the Spirit leads you and others; listen to God; and ask him to show you how to live each day. This Lenten prayer models the lectio divina approach to scripture reading and prayer, allowing you to change your heart and find expression in your actions. It encourages a greater sensitivity to those around you and people across the globe in meditating on the Pope’s monthly prayer intentions and creating an enriching habit of daily prayer and scripture reading that is as easy to maintain as it is enriching. COPIES AVAILABLE IN THE BACK OF CHURCH. LIMITED SUPPLIES. DONATION $2.
Operation Rice Bowl
Join our faith community - and nearly 14,000 Catholic communities across the United States - in a life-changing Lenten journey of encounter with CRS Rice Bowl beginning on Ash Wednesday. After Mass Rice Bowls will be available on the back table of the Parish and made available throughout Lent. We will collect the Rice Bowls on Holy Thursday and Good Friday April 18 & 19. The CRS Rice Bowl is a faith-in-action program that invites us to encounter anew ourselves, our neighbors and our God. As we the global Church prepare for the holy season of Lent
it is especially appropriate to come together in prayer as a family, reflecting on the role we each have to play in building up God’s one human family. Please consider these suggestions for your family’s Lenten season:
- Use your CRS Rice Bowl and Lenten Calendar daily to guide your Lenten prayer, fasting and alms-giving.
- As a family, read the Stories of Hope and daily reflections to inspire your Lenten journey - and guide your Lenten alms-giving.
- Prepare simple meatless meals on Fridays throughout Lent, in solidarity with our brothers and sisters around the world.
is a great resource to watch videos of the people and communities your Lenten gifts help change through your Rice Bowl donations. Thank you for considering using the Rice Bowl with your family and taking the time during the upcoming 40 Days of Lent
to better prepare yourself to encounter our neighbors and our God.
Soup & Stations of the Cross
Soup & Stations Let us gather together each Friday of Lent
in the Church Hall as a community of faith for a simple meal of soup provided by one of our ministries. We then gather in the Mission for Stations of the Cross. Soup: 6:00pm in Church Hall - Stations: 7:00pm in Mission. All are welcome.
Live Stations of the Cross
|Good Friday, April 19 @ noon
Join St. Joseph's Prymer Youth Ministry
and EDGE Jr. High ministry in a live stations of the cross as we reenact the passion of Christ through word and song in a Live Stations of the Cross
We will follow the story of Christ's crucifixion through live action and song. All teens are invited to participate in this event by being part of the live crowd and/or one of the key roles like Jesus, Mary, Pontius Pilate and others.
Service hours will be given for those who still need to fulfill the 10 hours of service for the Confirmation course. All players will meet at 8am, and the reenactment will begin at 12pm. Parents, Grandparents, and the St. Joseph community-at-large are invited to experience this event and pray along.
If you are interested in participating, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
or the St. Joseph Faith Formation office at 510-657-0905
Lectio Divina - Living the Gospel
Thursday Mornings Lectio divina is a form of meditation rooted in liturgical celebration that dates back to early monastic communities. It was a method practiced by monks in their daily encounter with Scripture, both as they prepared for the Eucharist and as they prayed the Liturgy of the Hours. The Latin phrase "lectio divina" may be translated as "divine reading." As one reads and invites the Word to become a transforming lens that brings the events of daily living into focus, one can come to live more deeply and find the presence of God more readily in the events of each day. You are invited to join our Lectio group as you can on Thursday mornings from 9:00am-10:30am in Ministry House II. Questions? call Sister Marcia at 510-502-5797
Lenten & Easter Mass schedule
- Lenten Retreat - March 8 & 9
- Ash Wednesday - March 6
- Mass times: 8am (in the Old Mission), 12 noon & 7:30pm (St Joseph Church)
- Stations of the Cross - Every Friday during Lent
- 6pm Soup in Hall
- 7pm each Friday in Lent in the Old Mission
- St. Joseph's Feast Day - March 19
- Mass - 8am in Old Mission
- St Joseph Table Morning Potlock - in Hall after 8am Mass
- Scripture Study Group - in Ministry House 2
- Each Tuesday 9:30am
- Each Wednesday 7:30pm
- Lectio Divina
- Each Thursday 9:00am - Ministry House 2
- Taize Prayer
- Friday April 5 - 8:00pm in Dominican Chapel
- Each Saturday during Lent - 3:30-4:30 in the Church
- Parishwide Reconciliation Service - Monday April 8 at 7:30pm in the Church
- Palm Sunday - April 14
- Procession of Palms at Sat 5:30pm, and Sunday 9am, 12:30pm, and 6:30pm Masses
- Holy Thursday - April 18
- Morning Prayer - 9am in Mission
- Mass of the Lord's Supper - 8pm in Church
- Adoration - after 8pm Mass in Mission
- Good Friday - April 19
- Holy Saturday - April 20
- Morning Prayer - 9am in Mission
- Easter Vigil - 8pm in Church
- Easter Sunday - April 21
- Mass times: 7:30am, 9am, 11am, 12:30pm, 4pm (Mandarin)
for the Lenten Easter Calendar
Click here for resources to help us on our Lenten journey